Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on the two party system

I...like...two...party. I like to party.

Get it?
    Neffy's father.

sBaums 10th Grade Sophomore Nocturnal's Avatar

sBaums 6th Grader BigMattTheHobo's Avatar
    Have to agree with most of what's been said already.

But I think the party system we have would work if everyone were better informed. I don't think there are any rules that say we must have Ds and Rs as the primary parties. We could have any group of people band together to create political parties. If people were better educated and involved, more parties could exist.

But now, money has worked its way so deeply into both parties, I doubt we'll ever see a break from the two party system unless something major happens.

Chalupa's description of local govt. vs. states was excellent. In my opinion, county commissioners are the most powerful elected officials in the land. Not power like money and military. But power as in the ability to have the greatest impact on your life. They control so, so much depending on your state. A lot can be done at the local level, and it's not impossible to help shape policy if you get involved with something locally.

Also, it is WAY easier to be corrupt on the local level and bury $100K in small cash bribes, instead of at the federal level where you embezzle tens of millions, have to launder it, and end up getting sent away for a long time.
    Neffy's father.

sBaums 3rd Grader
    I love the the thought of a 2 party system, but we all know that shit aint real....props to Fero and Lupa. I often ponder,but understand.

sBaums 3rd Grader CambodianBreastMilk's Avatar
    i think it's oppressive towards individuals who want a three party system. think about that for a while.

sBaums 3rd Grader
    It sickens me.., .......the forefathers are rolling over in their grave. But they owed slaves so not sure if they knew what was up. Plus they invaded a free nation, and talked about FREE. Democracy is a thing gained by the ones that have the ballz to want it. The whole point in government is for the weak. I'm a barbarian

sBaums Toddler
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMattTheHobo View Post
    Have to agree with most of what's been said already.

But I think the party system we have would work if everyone were better informed. I don't think there are any rules that say we must have Ds and Rs as the primary parties. We could have any group of people band together to create political parties. If people were better educated and involved, more parties could exist.

But now, money has worked its way so deeply into both parties, I doubt we'll ever see a break from the two party system unless something major happens.
    yes but then we are putting the onus on the general public to do something that they have historically never done. most people just don't have the time, resources or patience to weed through all the bullshit and develop a political opinion which best suits their interests. they do however have the time to ingest soundbites and regurgitate them back out. that is why money is so effective... because people are inherently malleable.

to be honest i have started to think that democracy is only valuable in the sense that it seeks to prevent crazy dictators from running off on crazy or oppressive schemes. it is utterly inept at actually producing the results that would be optimal for the majority of the population.

sBaums 3rd Grader
    True dat...if I'm not mistaken....back in the day you were voted into the "senate", and served. After you were done you faced the people and they let you know whether you served proper or not.Nowadays you get a pension, and secret service for life. I see no real democracy going on here.

sBaums 3rd Grader
    So much for the 2 party system