Santa shouldn't be depicted as an old white man anymore

BigMattTheHobo

Mexican and fabulous
She makes a great point. But let's see how butthurt whites - the most oppressed people in America - will get over this.

If they're delusional enough to think Jesus was white, I don't see them taking penguin Santa well

silberfuchs

Administrator
Staff member
I think he should look like the local priest.

What, did you think he was asking you to sit on his lap and give you presents out of the kindness of his heart?

chalupa

The gimp
I believed in Santa when I was four. Not five, four.

Fuck the tooth fairy.

Frood

a true bro
Futurama is way ahead of the times. They portrayed him as a maniacal murderous robot. A racially ambiguous robot.

Fero

Old World
Staff member
I'm pretty sure only a small minority of darkies gives a shit about this.

In the Netherlands, there was this whole thing about Black Peter being a 'racist stereotype'. Well, maybe he is and maybe he ain't. The point is kids don't see it that way. For them Black Peter is just the funny buddy of Sinterklaas who happens to be black (like lots of kids in their school) and Santa Claus is the jolly fat man who rides a sleigh and brings them gifts. This is obviously a non-issue in which only adults are interested.

Hands off and let the kiddies have their fun, I say. Why change age old traditions for some butthurt uncle Toms?

Frood

a true bro
Because suddenly changing Santa's species won't totally kill the illusion for tons of children... "Gee mom, how come in every movie before 2014 Santa is a human? You always told me he was a penguin, also, the movies all say hes from the North Pole. What gives?" Not to mention all the kids who believe in Santa DURING the transition. Half the time he'll be a penguin, half the time a person. "Hey mom, last year when I sat on Santa's lap, I'm pretty sure he didn't have a beak. Is he doing okay?"

I think this paragraph is really exaggerated.
Why, you ask? For one thing, making Santa Claus an animal rather than an old white male could spare millions of nonwhite kids the insecurity and shame that I remember from childhood. Whether you celebrate the holiday or not, Santa is one of the first iconic figures foisted upon you: He exists as an incredibly powerful image in the imaginations of children across the country (and beyond, of course). That this genial, jolly man can only be seen as white—and consequently, that a Santa of any other hue is merely a “joke” or a chance to trudge out racist stereotypes—helps perpetuate the whole “white-as-default” notion endemic to American culture (and, of course, not just American culture).

If kids feel such shame and insecurity as a result of not being white like Santa, then why won't they feel shame by not being a penguin like Santa? I can't help but imagine that it's a small minority of non-white kids who feel persecuted because one of their heroes isn't the same color as them. I never gave a shit that Michael Jordan was black, and that I could never be like him. Most kids don't think like that. Changing a tradition like one of Santa Claus for this reason is a little over-reactive.

It seems like the only defensible reason Santa should be changed from his current form is so someone from any family can dress up as Santa without raising questions of Santa's race. While there may be some legitimacy to the claim, I have a few issues with it. First, I don't think most families have someone dressing up as Santa and ho-ho-hoing through the house every Christmas, I know I never did. Destroying the illusion of Santa for millions of kids for the reasons I mentioned above just to appease the kids who are privileged enough to have their own Santa seems counterproductive. Second, if a kid is old enough to ask about Santa's race and feel shame for not being the same as him, maybe they're old enough to know that he's not real in the first place. I never believed in Santa as a kid, but if a kid older than 6 still believes in him, then they're in for a rough life...

Nocturnal

Ninja Wizard
Judging by the comments on the slate article, the amount of but hurt is epic. I honestly like the idea just troll all the racist dickholes out there. (the same ones who sear up and down that they didn't see Zimmerman as a white guy and instead claim they believe he is just as black as Obama or something)

As if a made up character that is a mixture of a 343 AD greek guy who was born in Turkey, Odin, and some Dutch guy has to be white. If we want accuracy then Santa sure as fuck shouldn't be able to speak English.

I don't like the animal idea. But, I do think it would be good to portray Santa as a spirit or whatever that reflects multiple races.

I'm pretty sure only a small minority of darkies gives a shit about this.

In the Netherlands, there was this whole thing about Black Peter being a 'racist stereotype'. Well, maybe he is and maybe he ain't. The point is kids don't see it that way. For them Black Peter is just the funny buddy of Sinterklaas who happens to be black (like lots of kids in their school) and Santa Claus is the jolly fat man who rides a sleigh and brings them gifts. This is obviously a non-issue in which only adults are interested.

Hands off and let the kiddies have their fun, I say. Why change age old traditions for some butthurt uncle Toms?
Yeah, but that guy is totally based on a slave.

It's sorta like letting a little kid play with a dildo. Maybe the kid doesn't know what it is and is just having fun, but the rest of us know and should try and give him a toy sword instead.

chalupa

The gimp
Irish Santa is red-haired, a leprechaun, and is piss drunk all the time.

Actually, that sounds kinda fun.

Ciaran

potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato

Nocturnal

Ninja Wizard
potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato
Well you have to. The image translators work for the Irish construct program. But there’s way too much information to decode the potato. You get used to it. I…I don’t even see the code. All I see is blonde, brunette, red-head. Hey, you uh… want a drink?

Ciaran

Well you have to. The image translators work for the Irish construct program. But there’s way too much information to decode the potato. You get used to it. I…I don’t even see the code. All I see is blonde, brunette, red-head. Hey, you uh… want a drink?
Po... tato? Potato potato potato! Potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato!!!

whocares

Here's a little secret: Santa is actually a mexican guy.

¡Felices fiestas, cabrones!