Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: Nsa

  1. #11
    sBaums Graduate Fero's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Civilization
    Posts
    21,450
    Methinks America needs a president that will splinter the NSA into a thousand pieces and scatter it to the winds.

    But we know what happens with that kind of presidents, don't we?

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by chalupa View Post
    I'm not sure we are regaining our sanity.

    Read the following, and tell me how the TSA (for example) makes any sense at all in that context:
    Oh I'm well aware. However, look at the world we were living in for several years right after 9/11. It was cartoonish. We had a color coded terror alert system that never got to the two lower levels; we had a Patriot Act that infringed on so many rights, yet most people were ok with it because it was viewed as "necessary" to "stop the terrorists"; two wars, one totally unrelated to 9/11 but try telling that to a large chuck of the GOP; ridiculous security measures at the airport (which still exist, but are starting to be modified). Add on to all of that the constant stream of 24/7 news/opinion and the internet and it was, for a few years, a paranoia state. Much like the hyperpatriotic atmosphere of WWI, we had the hyperparanoid atmosphere where we begged for a police state.

    (and wtf.. I had to delete that link because I don't have enough rep points?)

  3. #13
    sBaums Post-Graduate chalupa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    King
    Posts
    35,137
    The only thing that has changed is the color coded system is gone. Iraq is a shambles, though we have withdrawn, but we are still dying in Afghanistan, and the TSA is getting more powerful, not less. Next they are talking about iris scanners.

    I'm not sure we are regaining sanity so much as accepting this new, fucked up way of living.

    The NSA is a beast that will just grow and grow unbridled. The intentions behind it are sound, they always are, but there literally is no system of checks and balances, and without snowden fucking everything up, we wouldn't even have that admission.
    Neffy's father.

  4. #14
    sBaums Undergraduate Junior silberfuchs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    8,512
    The intentions behind it are sound
    I'm not even sure about that. The intentions that they state might seem reasonable, but are not the same as their actual intentions. They say they are doing it for our own good. What good? What is it doing us?

    We pay taxes so that the NSA can spy on foreign companies to steal IP and hand it over to our own companies in exchange for them getting cheaper parts. That does not help the US citizen, and it certainly doesn't help foreign citizens. We lose so that they can grow in power.

    They spy on, discredit, and blackmail, politicians (Politicians they consider "radicals." You know, like the ones that strongly believe in the constitution. Ron Paul was considered a "radical"). They manipulate the media (several journalists from well-known sources have refused to run anti-NSA stories out of fear of legal trouble). They manipulate facts. They blatantly lie to us, the people, and congress. They spread propaganda far and wide. Since when has an uninformed population been able to make informed decisions to lead their country in the right direction? You can't vote the right way if you aren't allowed to know what's going on.

    Nearly everything they are doing has nothing to do with terrorists, yet they make the claim that they are protecting us from them. That's funny, because didn't they have to recently admit in court, with a 68-page document, that they have stopped 0 terrorist attacks? Gee, I wonder why that is.

    Recently, the FBI has changed it's official primary objective from "Law enforcement" to "National security." Why? Because if you claim to fight those terrorists, then you get free money! The government has to increase your funding, otherwise that clearly means they want the terrorists to blow us all up, right? They aren't stupid; they want in on the free ride.

    The NSA did get the hint that we're sick of hearing the same BS line that it is fighting terrorists, and so went on a short-lived binge of claiming it was to stop pedophiles. Except it wasn't doing that at all. And their only involvement with anything related to pedophiles is when the FBI took over the Freedom Hosting servers and routed information through NSA servers for a few days as they distributed malware. While Freedom Hosting might have had some CP sites on Tor, that was not the target. TorMail, and similar completely legal services, were. And anybody that visited any site on FH servers was infected with malware; not just the CP sites. And FH hosted tens of thousands of websites. This is similar to being arrested because you went to a restaurant that was on the same street as a drug dealer.

    The NSA has undoubtedly put us all at risk; whether from writing and distributing their own malware, or forcing software/hardware vendors from fixing known vulnerabilities, or even paying them off to implement some backdoors.


    What it all comes down to is that the NSA has done nothing but hurt this country (and others) while bolstering itself. It has not done a single thing to our benefit. Anything that they claim they've done to be good for you is a flat-out lie, so I hope you've got your bullshit detectors on. I really wish everything I've said here were nothing but nonsense, but we've come to learn that it is all true.

  5. #15
    sBaums Post-Graduate chalupa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    King
    Posts
    35,137
    Quote Originally Posted by silberfuchs View Post
    The intentions that they state might seem reasonable
    Those were the intentions I was referring to. It is their means that are the problem.
    Neffy's father.

  6. #16
    sBaums 2nd Grader Ciaran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    241
    We are all silberfucked.

  7. #17
    sBaums Undergraduate Junior silberfuchs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    8,512
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    We are all silberfucked.
    I don't know what that even means.


    http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/17/politi...a-nsa-changes/
    http://yro.slashdot.org/story/14/01/...llance-reforms

    Translation:
    Quote Originally Posted by Obama
    We're not, at all, going to change any of the spying that you guys are so upset over. We are just going to move the location of where we store it. I mean, we were kind of planning on doing that anyways, so it's an easy out. Hopefully most of the US citizens (read: the mentally retarded half) will think we're making some real changes and start to like us again.

    We also want you to know that we're going to have a secret court oversee this whole thing. Yeah, we already had FISA that was supposed to be doing that, and we all know how that turned out, but we're super serious this time, guys! I totally trust this honor system that we already had in place that has proven to have failed.

    Oh, and before I forget, I want to reiterate that there has been no abuses and we're not spying on allied heads of state, despite the fact that these have already proven that to be the case and I'm lying to you about it again even today. James Clapper here says he totally approves of my message and we all know what a trustworthy guy he is, so you guys should be totally cool with our domestic spying program. Er, I mean, our totally-not-domestic spying program.
    Thanks, Obama. I feel so much better now.

  8. #18
    sBaums 6th Grader BigMattTheHobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    693
    Obama.... just... I don't even know what to say

    :facepalm:

  9. #19
    sBaums Toddler
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    31
    Can at least the NSA support the US and Mexico govt to finally squash the drug cartels here in Mexico and reduce violence and crime altogether? I mean, that would be quite helpful.

  10. #20
    sBaums Undergraduate Junior silberfuchs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    8,512
    Quote Originally Posted by whocares View Post
    Can at least the NSA support the US and Mexico govt to finally squash the drug cartels here in Mexico and reduce violence and crime altogether? I mean, that would be quite helpful.
    No. The CIA might not like that. A couple of former CIA directors have come forward and confirmed allegations that the CIA has been involved in drug trafficking as a means to fund itself.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •