In today's episode of "now don't you feel like a failure"

silberfuchs

Administrator
Staff member
Sometimes, happiness cannot be found within, either. In those cases, sometimes material things are a nice consolation prize.

chalupa

The gimp
...and when you eat bacon, it ends up inside. Hence, happiness is inside.

Nocturnal

Ninja Wizard
Money is our society's primary measure of value, and hence success. Human nature drives us to succeed. Therefore money brings happiness.

Discuss.

DISCUSS FUCKERS!

chalupa

The gimp
I have wrapped my bacon in other bacon. It was cosmogasmic, but it took me a few days to feel normal again after that. I'd recommend you try it at least once, but make sure you surround yourself with people you trust who can take care of you for awhile if you lose your shit. Probably shouldn't do it more than a couple times in a month to let your brain recover.

Nocturnal

Ninja Wizard
I have wrapped my bacon in other bacon. It was cosmogasmic, but it took me a few days to feel normal again after that. I'd recommend you try it at least once, but make sure you surround yourself with people you trust who can take care of you for awhile if you lose your shit. Probably shouldn't do it more than a couple times in a month to let your brain recover.
If that were true the universe would have ended. Bacon wrapped bacon makes the large hadron collider look like a child's toy.

So, I tried some bacon-wrapped bacon, and immediately all my knee and back pain disappeared. I then found myself floating as if on a magic cloud and was transported to what I can only refer to as Heaven, where a kindly Incan monkey god dictated to me a cure for cancer and the next 5 world series winners. Now if I can just translate his strange but beautiful language I'll be set for life.

BigMattTheHobo

Mexican and fabulous
I like baking bacon sometimes. Gets really crispy and it doesn't cook in as much fat.

Good for the dude in the OP story. But I wonder how other people deal with making a lot of money like that. With benefits, I make about many times the median income and the per capita income here. It really gets to me sometimes, because there's such abject poverty and extreme disparities here. There's a single mother of three worrying about dinner tonight, and I'm just spending (and saving) enough to feed her entire family. And imagine the people around the world whose lives would change in an instant if they had access to a sixteenth of what I do. I donate a lot of my time to not-for-profit causes, and I make financial contributions to various organizations as well as individuals when I can help. (please, please don't see this as bragging at all. I am nothing compared to real power players, and I'm certainly not looking for validation from the Internet).

I know this is like intro liberal guilt and all of that stuff. "Are you seriously complaining about that, Matt?" I'm not complaining, only looking for other opinions and personal views.

Last edited:

chalupa

The gimp
Move somewhere where you won't be so rich compared to others.
I'm going to do the opposite. I'm going to move to like Madagascar or something and be their god.

Plus, I'll lock down the shipyards when the plague hits and become invincible.

Nocturnal

Ninja Wizard
I like baking bacon sometimes. Gets really crispy and it doesn't cook in as much fat.

Good for the dude in the OP story. But I wonder how other people deal with making a lot of money like that. With benefits, I make about many times the median income and the per capita income here. It really gets to me sometimes, because there's such abject poverty and extreme disparities here. There's a single mother of three worrying about dinner tonight, and I'm just spending (and saving) enough to feed her entire family. And imagine the people around the world whose lives would change in an instant if they had access to a sixteenth of what I do. I donate a lot of my time to not-for-profit causes, and I make financial contributions to various organizations as well as individuals when I can help. (please, please don't see this as bragging at all. I am nothing compared to real power players, and I'm certainly not looking for validation from the Internet).

I know this is like intro liberal guilt and all of that stuff. "Are you seriously complaining about that, Matt?" I'm not complaining, only looking for other opinions and personal views.

Hard to say. Some combination of cognitive dissonance and ego centrism probably. I feel guilty sometimes that I make so much relative to the average person. Some of that is assuaged though by the objective fact that I did work very hard (many years of schooling, sacrificing personal life at times etc.) to get to where I am. Also, in reality people aren't all equal. Some of us are harder workers, more intelligent, or just gifted in some way.

Still. I figure if by some magical means I were to make a huge amount of money I would feel terrible spending 200k on a watch or something when that could repair kid's faces and essentially save their entire life. (smiletrain charity) Perhaps I could make a deal with myself to do a 50/50. Spend 50k on me, spend 50k on charity. My current charitable contributions are relatively meager compared to my income, but I've been steadily increasing them.

chalupa

The gimp
Bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon.