Fastest spaceships in the universe

silberfuchs

Administrator
Staff member

I don't honestly understand these numbers. First of all, there's a few things that are listed as having less acceleration than a car. While the satellite makes sense, how would those space ships ever be useful? They lack the thrust to even stay in orbit, and they certainly would never be able to take off from a planet.

Furthermore, I'm not at all a Starwars nerd, but do they not often show those TIE fighters engaging in battle with the X wing and millennium falcon? The difference in acceleration there is only, oh, a few million C, meaning that the TIE fighter would never even see their enemy, let alone be able to engage it.

And while we're on the subject of acceleration past the speed of light (foregoing that doing so would consume more energy than exists in the universe, and since many of these are listed as using various types of thrust and it would not be possible for any fuel to provide any force once you approach the speed of light--because your exhaust simply cannot exceed C), how would measuring speed in millions of C/s^2 even work? I mean, is it not just instantaneous teleportation at that point? Then, would the only difference between 1 million C and 2 million only be the distance traveled between transposition and not the acceleration?

Fero

Old World
Staff member
I don't honestly understand these numbers. First of all, there's a few things that are listed as having less acceleration than a car. While the satellite makes sense, how would those space ships ever be useful? They lack the thrust to even stay in orbit, and they certainly would never be able to take off from a planet.

Furthermore, I'm not at all a Starwars nerd, but do they not often show those TIE fighters engaging in battle with the X wing and millennium falcon? The difference in acceleration there is only, oh, a few million C, meaning that the TIE fighter would never even see their enemy, let alone be able to engage it.

And while we're on the subject of acceleration past the speed of light (foregoing that doing so would consume more energy than exists in the universe, and since many of these are listed as using various types of thrust and it would not be possible for any fuel to provide any force once you approach the speed of light--because your exhaust simply cannot exceed C), how would measuring speed in millions of C/s^2 even work? I mean, is it not just instantaneous teleportation at that point? Then, would the only difference between 1 million C and 2 million only be the distance traveled between transposition and not the acceleration?