I drive...

Frood

a true bro
Yeah...once you get by the dork factor, they are the best vehicles on the road. We rented a minivan to drive to Hilton Head, and there was just so much room for activities.

I'm trying to work it so I don't sell my car and get the van, too, but in reality that would be selfish of me...and with twins on the way, I want to start saving a lot. College will be stupid expensive.
Do you guys have only 1 car? Considering your wife and you both work, I don't think it would be selfish to have two cars. Or even if she's not goingto be working once you have 3 kids, she's going to need a car to get around with 3 kids while youre at work. Maker her​ get the van.

chalupa

The gimp
Do you guys have only 1 car? Considering your wife and you both work, I don't think it would be selfish to have two cars. Or even if she's not goingto be working once you have 3 kids, she's going to need a car to get around with 3 kids while youre at work. Maker her​ get the van.
We have two cars. She has a Hyundai Santa Fe GLsomething or other, which we got when we thought "oh, hey, we're having one more kid!" Except we stuck a bonus child in her uterus, so three car seats don't fit in it. We will sell mine, she'll drive the minivan, and I'll take hers.

Ideally we keep mine, too, but three vehicles is a lot. We could afford it, but that's just dumb. Save money now makes more sense.

I'm a responsible man-child.

chalupa

The gimp
Because I can easily envision a day when I'd have to have more than one child in my car, and the 135 is not set up for that at all.

Nocturnal

Ninja Wizard
I had an old chevy cavalier, five speed, no auto windows. It did have AC, though, which is critical in summer around here. I could play that car like a fiddle.

My 135i, that I have to sell to get a minivan, has the M Sport tuning package (they weren't making the M1), so its top speed is governed to 155, 0-60 is sub five seconds, and it's got lower, stiffer suspension.

I have to sell it.

To get a minivan.
Hmm, I didn't know the 135i had a governor. I had the 335i up to about 155 on the Autobahn. I must have been damn close to hitting the limit as I can only imagine both cars would have the same governor settings.

chalupa

The gimp
Hmm, I didn't know the 135i had a governor. I had the 335i up to about 155 on the Autobahn. I must have been damn close to hitting the limit as I can only imagine both cars would have the same governor settings.
The 135i has a 145 mph governor, the M-Sport 135i increases that to 155. I'm guessing any BMW in Germany would probably have the higher limiter on it.

Nocturnal

Ninja Wizard
The 135i has a 145 mph governor, the M-Sport 135i increases that to 155. I'm guessing any BMW in Germany would probably have the higher limiter on it.
I had the 335i sport package. It was an American spec car.

I broke down and googled it, 155mph on the 335.

Fero

Old World
Staff member
Why? I've always wanted to drive one of those ridiculous huge cars with the fins.

Oh, and a truck with wooden panels. Awesomeness.

chalupa

The gimp
There are many more places in building a truck to bury the weight of ridiculous pensions and union deals, so American truck quality didn't suffer like cars did through the 80s and 90s. American cars are starting to rebound and become comparable to their overseas counterparts, which ironically, are being made in the US without the bloated pensions and terrible union contracts, but they're not quite there yet. And there is still some nostalgia for huge, ugly muscle car style vehicles for some reason, instead of practical, sporty, fast, fun and classy sedans and coupes. The american auto industry just lost two decades and is still sorting its shit out.

But trucks...well, we know how to make 'em big.

Nocturnal

Ninja Wizard
Shouldn't you guys drive good ol' amuhrkan cars?
It all depends.

Until the past decade or so US cares were very unrefined. I owned a 98 Trans Am which offered amazing performance for it's price, but just didn't have a solid feel to it. The newer stuff, especially Ford is much better.

My wife has a Ford Fusion Hybrid as her company car (woot, we haven't payed for gas, payments, or repairs in like 5 years now). We will buy a second vehicle sooner or later though. Probably a Buick Enclave because it's comfortable, has 3 rows of seats, and sells much much less than a European luxury SUV/crossover.