Movies

Frood

a true bro
That's a plus. As a soon to be father of a little girl it's a shame how rare women are in sci-fi and fantasy. No wonder it's only fat neckbeards who like this stuff.
Like I said, i understand the appeal of having more women, but it also changed the story, and greatly diminished the role of one of the most important characters in the book. Essentially, the book challenged sexism by having Petra be a strong, heroic female character despite living in a man's world, while the movie pretends there is no sexism by making roughly half of the characters female. While it's a minor theme, it was still one that they removed from the movie. If they were to make the sequels into movies (oh god I hope they dont), then they would have a very hard time explaining lots of Petra's motivations later on.

Brian

Brian
That's a plus. As a soon to be father of a little girl it's a shame how rare women are in sci-fi and fantasy. No wonder it's only fat neckbeards who like this stuff.
nigga what the fuck are you talking about?

in the asian world (lots of influences in modern western/american media) the movies and cartoons are packed since forever with girls portrayed as awesome military leaders. thus fat neckbeards like anime because they can see Motoko Kusanagi's tits and bare ass. you think they would like that poorly drawn shit otherwise?

speaking of current modern western/american media: what about sarah connor, ellen ripley, hermione, the bride from kill bill (i'm not saying this is fantasy but there are lots of elements 'borrowed' from Akira) ? women are not rare in scifi and fantasy, actually i'm pretty pissed because it's really awkward when you see some skinny midget like Zoe Saldana waving around AK47's and rocket launchers in 'The Losers' (comicbook based movie) or Kate Beckingsale beating up 12 men at a time in the remake of Total Recall.

call me a misogynistic pig but I dont want female versions of every fucking male character ever created just because we can. all that is not a plus. I dont want my daughter to believe she's a self entitled Disney Princess but I also dont want her to believe she's living in a feminazi driven utopia where women are walking talking Terminators and men are pussified versions of men. because when she gets out of the house on her way to school and some ethnically challenged individuals walk up to her with a knife and demands her money, she's gonna give them all her money. she's not gonna try kung fu moves on them because there's a big chance she's gonna get fucked in the ass and murdered, not necessarily in that order.

I bet you cried and walked out when you saw Michael Williams as officer Lewis in this new version of Robocop.

Nocturnal

Ninja Wizard
nigga what the fuck are you talking about?

in the asian world (lots of influences in modern western/american media) the movies and cartoons are packed since forever with girls portrayed as awesome military leaders. thus fat neckbeards like anime because they can see Motoko Kusanagi's tits and bare ass. you think they would like that poorly drawn shit otherwise?

speaking of current modern western/american media: what about sarah connor, ellen ripley, hermione, the bride from kill bill (i'm not saying this is fantasy but there are lots of elements 'borrowed' from Akira) ? women are not rare in scifi and fantasy, actually i'm pretty pissed because it's really awkward when you see some skinny midget like Zoe Saldana waving around AK47's and rocket launchers in 'The Losers' (comicbook based movie) or Kate Beckingsale beating up 12 men at a time in the remake of Total Recall.

call me a misogynistic pig but I dont want female versions of every fucking male character ever created just because we can. all that is not a plus. I dont want my daughter to believe she's a self entitled Disney Princess but I also dont want her to believe she's living in a feminazi driven utopia where women are walking talking Terminators and men are pussified versions of men. because when she gets out of the house on her way to school and some ethnically challenged individuals walk up to her with a knife and demands her money, she's gonna give them all her money. she's not gonna try kung fu moves on them because there's a big chance she's gonna get fucked in the ass and murdered, not necessarily in that order.

I bet you cried and walked out when you saw Michael Williams as officer Lewis in this new version of Robocop.
Highlight on Asian up there.

Your examples are the exception not the norm. Women are quite rare in fantasy and still relatively rare in sci-fi. At best they get bit parts. Ellen Ripley is an icon because she is a woman in a popular sci fi genre.

You seem a bit angry about this topic.

Like I said, i understand the appeal of having more women, but it also changed the story, and greatly diminished the role of one of the most important characters in the book. Essentially, the book challenged sexism by having Petra be a strong, heroic female character despite living in a man's world, while the movie pretends there is no sexism by making roughly half of the characters female. While it's a minor theme, it was still one that they removed from the movie. If they were to make the sequels into movies (oh god I hope they dont), then they would have a very hard time explaining lots of Petra's motivations later on.
Well first off all the ways you can show a deep attachment in a book are out the window when you turn it into a 2 hour film. I'd say your very statement up there is the problem. Let's all praise the little girl for doing a great job up there in the man's club. We all know that women can't fight in wars, not even wars that consist of playing a big video game basically. I'm in no way saying that this movie did a good job at sex issues, but we don't need to pretend that our media and especially media made in decades past is crazily dominated by male characters.

One of the most iconic female sci fi characters, Sarah Connor is important because she is going to push the chosen one out of her vagina. That's a pretty shit message. Hey girls, you can help to! Make sure you get knocked up and maybe your son will be important! That is literally the whole princess story line.

Last edited:

Telaso

I'm Telaso
Not really a movie, but I just finished up House of Cards season 1.

Damn good show..... Easy 9/10 if not 9.5.

Brian

Brian
Highlight on Asian up there.
i was giving an example of what you shouldnt do as a movie industry/animation studio conglomerate. it's fucking ridiculous.

Your examples are the exception not the norm. Women are quite rare in fantasy and still relatively rare in sci-fi. At best they get bit parts. Ellen Ripley is an icon because she is a woman in a popular sci fi genre.
are you implying that womyn ruling scifi & fantasy worlds should be the norm?

women having big parts in mainstream movies and comicbooks is definitely an ascending trend, especially in the last 20 years or so. i mean come on, imagine Twilight coming out in the 80s or Zoe Saldana with her rocket launcher. that's some 'Showgirls/Beyond the valley of the dolls/Ridgemont High' material right there. people would have laughed it off or maybe keep it as a background noise for when they have someone sleep over. but now that shit makes $billions.

'being creative' shouldnt be equal to 'lol let's rewrite that story but with a woman doing that instead because lol why not'.

speaking of comicbooks, i'm more worried about the sexual ambiguity and lgbt stuff that's going on right now. gay hero this, gay hero that, it's a fucking mess.

bottom line is: right now nobody wants to see women all over fantasy movies, if you enjoy that shit then keep it locked down somehow in some form or the other, dont flood all the media and all other genres with it. it may sound far fetched, but that's how i see it, i think 'women everywhere' is a gateway for 'lgbt everywhere'. you just wait and see. 10 years from now Riggs will be making out with Murtaugh in the Lethal Weapon remake and everyone will be cool with it.

Frood

a true bro
Well first off all the ways you can show a deep attachment in a book are out the window when you turn it into a 2 hour film.
My whole post was about how they did a shitty adaptation of the book, so youre agreeing with me

I'd say your very statement up there is the problem. Let's all praise the little girl for doing a great job up there in the man's club. We all know that women can't fight in wars, not even wars that consist of playing a big video game basically. I'm in no way saying that this movie did a good job at sex issues, but we don't need to pretend that our media and especially media made in decades past is crazily dominated by male characters.
To be fair, if there's ONE place that has always been, and likely will always be male dominated, it's the military. Lying to your daughters through movies that imply that women can be in the army and succeed just as well as men can isnt doing them any favors. The truth is, that for a woman to be successful in that role is going to take work. Showing a 50/50 military is just lying to them, and it wont change the real world.
One of the most iconic female sci fi characters, Sarah Connor is important because she is going to push the chosen one out of her vagina. That's a pretty shit message. Hey girls, you can help to! Make sure you get knocked up and maybe your son will be important! That is literally the whole princess story line.[/QUOTE] Petra wasn't a "just good because she has a vag" character. She was a hero of her own merit. She was actually a role model, and they cheapened her.

Ciaran

Not really a movie, but I just finished up House of Cards season 1.

Damn good show..... Easy 9/10 if not 9.5.
I also finished season 1 last weekend. Fucking excellent. I'm three episodes into season 2 and not disappointed.

Everything Kevin Spacey looks at the camera, I laugh my ass off. It's fucking genius. Brilliant concept which adds to an already brilliant story.

Brian

Brian
saw 'Her' the other day. man that's some sad shit, i hope we dont end up like that. there's a key moment in the movie that i didnt like tho, when Starlord asked Joaquin Phoenix 'let's go on a double date', Joaquin said 'but my gf is an OS' and you think shit's about to get down but Starlord is like 'cool, let's do this'. i really think everybody adopted the whole smart OS way too fast, isnt Samantha supposed to be one of the first versions of its kind? anyway I give it a 6/10, that's the best i can do

Nocturnal

Ninja Wizard
Bad grandpa 9/10

many LOLs were had, it livened up my 2 hour flight last night

i was giving an example of what you shouldnt do as a movie industry/animation studio conglomerate. it's fucking ridiculous.

are you implying that womyn ruling scifi & fantasy worlds should be the norm?

women having big parts in mainstream movies and comicbooks is definitely an ascending trend, especially in the last 20 years or so. i mean come on, imagine Twilight coming out in the 80s or Zoe Saldana with her rocket launcher. that's some 'Showgirls/Beyond the valley of the dolls/Ridgemont High' material right there. people would have laughed it off or maybe keep it as a background noise for when they have someone sleep over. but now that shit makes $billions.

'being creative' shouldnt be equal to 'lol let's rewrite that story but with a woman doing that instead because lol why not'.

speaking of comicbooks, i'm more worried about the sexual ambiguity and lgbt stuff that's going on right now. gay hero this, gay hero that, it's a fucking mess.

bottom line is: right now nobody wants to see women all over fantasy movies, if you enjoy that shit then keep it locked down somehow in some form or the other, dont flood all the media and all other genres with it. it may sound far fetched, but that's how i see it, i think 'women everywhere' is a gateway for 'lgbt everywhere'. you just wait and see. 10 years from now Riggs will be making out with Murtaugh in the Lethal Weapon remake and everyone will be cool with it.
Old books are completely butchered all the time for all sorts of reasons. It's stupid to do it just to be PC but changing characters to reflect the times is pretty normal.

The bolded part would be fucking awesome. I would go see that movie.

My whole post was about how they did a shitty adaptation of the book, so youre agreeing with me

To be fair, if there's ONE place that has always been, and likely will always be male dominated, it's the military. Lying to your daughters through movies that imply that women can be in the army and succeed just as well as men can isnt doing them any favors. The truth is, that for a woman to be successful in that role is going to take work. Showing a 50/50 military is just lying to them, and it wont change the real world.
One of the most iconic female sci fi characters, Sarah Connor is important because she is going to push the chosen one out of her vagina. That's a pretty shit message. Hey girls, you can help to! Make sure you get knocked up and maybe your son will be important! That is literally the whole princess story line.
Petra wasn't a "just good because she has a vag" character. She was a hero of her own merit. She was actually a role model, and they cheapened her.[/QUOTE]

Yes I think we agree.

I figured they made the 2nd in command a chick so that she could mirror the tough macho dick played by Ford just like Ender's brother and sister. I see their goal there but it's cliche as shit and sexist as hell when you get down to it.

Last edited:

Frood

a true bro
Bad grandpa 9/10

many LOLs were had, it livened up my 2 hour flight last night

Old books are completely butchered all the time for all sorts of reasons. It's stupid to do it just to be PC but changing characters to reflect the times is pretty normal.

The bolded part would be fucking awesome. I would go see that movie.

Petra wasn't a "just good because she has a vag" character. She was a hero of her own merit. She was actually a role model, and they cheapened her.

Yes I think we agree.

I figured they made the 2nd in command a chick so that she could mirror the tough macho dick played by Ford just like Ender's brother and sister. I see their goal there but it's cliche as shit and sexist as hell when you get down to it.[/QUOTE]
I'm fairly certain in the book HE was first in command, and was way more of a dick than Graff. Graff loves the kids, Anderson sees them only as tools.

Nocturnal

Ninja Wizard
Yes I think we agree.

I figured they made the 2nd in command a chick so that she could mirror the tough macho dick played by Ford just like Ender's brother and sister. I see their goal there but it's cliche as shit and sexist as hell when you get down to it.
I'm fairly certain in the book HE was first in command, and was way more of a dick than Graff. Graff loves the kids, Anderson sees them only as tools.
I saw most of them as tools also.

The book is on my shelf, just haven't got to it yet. Been reading a 10 book fantasy series and it's fantastic.

Fero

Old World
Staff member
Tried the Wheel of Time, didn't like it at all. Nicely written and all that, just not my cup of tea.

Telaso

I'm Telaso
Wheel of time is a monster.... The middle is so stretched out its nearly impossible to get through now...

The last 3 books written by Sanderson though were excellent.

Nocturnal

Ninja Wizard
The Wheel of Time?
That is also on my list to read but no.

This is the Malazan Tale of the Fallen series. It rides a nice balance between the overly cartoony fantasy out there ("...then the evil Orc Lord fought the Barbarian...") and the more boring stuff that doesn't have much magic etc.

Brian

Brian
The Good Night: 7/10. enjoyable movie, solid cast (big mistake making it R-rated)

Evil Joe

Knights of Badassdom
4/10
It was about what I expected after seeing the trailer that came out years ago and knowing it was in post production hell for two or three years.
I liked Steve Zahn and Peter Dinklage's performances and especially Jimmi Simpson, but the writing/dialogue sucked, the directing sucked, the camera work sucked, the plot sucked, Summer Glau's character sucked, the main character sucked, and the monster sucked. I could've made a much better movie.

Ciaran

Tried the Wheel of Time, didn't like it at all. Nicely written and all that, just not my cup of tea.
Haven't read it myself but expect this to be my findings
That is also on my list to read but no.

This is the Malazan Tale of the Fallen series. It rides a nice balance between the overly cartoony fantasy out there ("...then the evil Orc Lord fought the Barbarian...") and the more boring stuff that doesn't have much magic etc.
I must check it out.

chalupa

The gimp
Knights of Badassdom
4/10
It was about what I expected after seeing the trailer that came out years ago and knowing it was in post production hell for two or three years.
I liked Steve Zahn and Peter Dinklage's performances and especially Jimmi Simpson, but the writing/dialogue sucked, the directing sucked, the camera work sucked, the plot sucked, Summer Glau's character sucked, the main character sucked, and the monster sucked. I could've made a much better movie.
Evil Joe, The Movie. 9.99/10

A riveting tale of a young boy's journey in becoming a woman, it has sex, violence, sexual violence, violent sex, puppies, and a feel good tale of the summer feel that makes it fun for the whole family. With the amount of sex and violence, though, the PG rating seems a bit surprising, but the feel goodness tale of the summerness feel of the film makes up for that. Kevin Spacey as a young Evil Joe was an odd choice, but Philip Seymour Hoffman rocked it as Evil Joe making his transition to Evil Joanna, though he kinda looked high the entire time. The director was ok, but some of the creative choices were confusing, like still cutaways of shovels, and old men sitting in the park. I guess that's why they're called creative choices, right? Am I right? Huh? The Irish were represented by Ciaran O'Stereotype, and there were a smattering of Europeans and some neckbeard Americans. All in all it was a good film, and would watch again. Also, catgravin was a cunt.