Pulp Fiction

Fero

Old World
Staff member
So I was watching Pulp Fiction for the gazillionth time a couple of days ago. During the opening scene, Vincent tells Jules that in Holland people put mayonnaise on their fries in stead of ketchup, to which Jules reacts disgusted.

I seldom eat mayo with fries, but a lot of people here do. What's your take on this?

BigMattTheHobo

Mexican and fabulous
Seems pretty gross.

I don't really use much on my fries. I like plain. Sometimes I'll use ranch if it tastes right or ketchup.

Fero

Old World
Staff member
We've got a wide choice of sauces here. Only ketchup seems so...ordinary. Try it with mayo, you may be surprised. Or not.

PRO TIP:
Whisk an egg (don't fry it or anything, just keep it raw), and throw in your hot fries. Eat it.

Believe you me, you wíll enjoy this.

ennaynattirb

Will give gumjob for meth
Guacamole ranch sauce, man.

Mayo on fries doesn't sound appetizing. Vinegar on fries is the bee's knees.

Fero

Old World
Staff member
I'm not a big mayo on fries fan, but it's still the most popular sauce here.

Guacamole on fries?

chalupa

The gimp
I've tried many different coverings for my fries, and I keep going back to ketchup. Heinz ketchup.

Frood

a true bro
If anyone tries to offer me ketchup that isnt Heinz then they are clearly a terrorist. Hunts? Bitch get back to Guantanamo. Tru Value? You just started a chemical war motherfucker. Prepare to die.

Nocturnal

Ninja Wizard
Mayo on Fries is ok. You would be much better off going with an Aoli though.

I only put ketchup on crappy fries. A really good french fry doesn't need sugary goo drowning out the delicious fried potato flavor.

For some types of fries Vinegar is the best choice. This is an English thing I think, but us mid-easters do that with our "boardwalk" fries also.

I do that every single time I go to the grocery store. Sometimes a dude in his 20s or early 30s will laugh, but mostly people look at me like I'm crazy...
I got some chick pretty good with that one a while back. We were at a fancy dinner party and somehow ketchup came up as a topic. I mentioned how I much preferred Ketchup over Castup. She was like "what, oh I didn't know they were different, what's different about them"

I doubt chalupa even handles his own groceries.
You there Sir, go make a poor person joke. Something about not having time to read or loving biscuits.

Fero

Old World
Staff member
My favorite is a sauce with brand names Samurai or Banzai (yeah, I know). Three tablespoons of mayo and one tablespoon of sambal for pure win with your fries.

Mix that shit up, muhrka. I'm Belgian, fries and beer are all I know.

Plus a minor in chocolate and waffles of course.

Nocturnal

Ninja Wizard
My favorite is a sauce with brand names Samurai or Banzai (yeah, I know). Three tablespoons of mayo and one tablespoon of sambal for pure win with your fries.

Mix that shit up, muhrka. I'm Belgian, fries and beer are all I know.

Plus a minor in chocolate and waffles of course.
Don't forget knowing how to resist the Nazis for 2/3rds of the time that France did. Which sounds bad but considering your relative sizes and military strengths is pretty good!

Sambal? What's that?

Fero

Old World
Staff member
Don't you have sambal oelek in America? It's an Indonesian condiment based on ground chili peppers. I put it in my spaghetti in stead of tabasco these days (I've grown to dislike the vinegary taste of tabasco). Sambal adds something special to just about everything. In that regards it's like worcestersauce.

There must be something like it in the USA (most likely on Matt's turf). We got all kinds of crazy shit from colonizing lesser nations and stealing their stuff.

Nocturnal

Ninja Wizard
Don't you have sambal oelek in America? It's an Indonesian condiment based on ground chili peppers. There must be something like it in the USA (most likely on Matt's turf). We got all kinds of crazy shit from colonizing lesser nations and stealing their stuff.
The name is vaguely familiar but it's definitely not common. Really, very few asian flavors are mainstream here. The only one that comes close is Siriacha sauce.

Sounds good though, I love Thai type flavors and use bird chiles in my Pad Thai.

Fero

Old World
Staff member
The name is vaguely familiar but it's definitely not common. Really, very few asian flavors are mainstream here. The only one that comes close is Siriacha sauce.

Sounds good though, I love Thai type flavors and use bird chiles in my Pad Thai.
Siriacha is awesome, we call that Flying Goose here since it's the only brand you find (mainly in the asian supermarkets that are quite common in medium to large cities). Used to put it in my mashed potatoes. It's not really like sambal, though.

I'm a big fan of the asian flavors. My ex was dutch, and dutch supermarkets generally have a huge selection of Indonesian wares. There's a big asian supermarket in Brussels which I used to go to quite often. They got some weird stuff and disgusting beer over there too, though.