USA and UK, y u no go metric?

Fero

Old World
Staff member
So I spent the weekend in the south east of England, as a surprise for my girlfriends birthday. Parked my 14-year old Volkswagen on the ferry and sailed over there. Weekend was pleasant, but driving on the left and the speed signs in mile annoyed me. Why are you guys still using a weird system of measurement?

I mean, just take a look at this:
1 foot is 12 inches
1 yard is 3 feet
1 chain (never even heard of that before) is 22 yards
1 furlong is 10 chains
1 mile is 8 furlongs

Where's the logic Anglosaxons?

10 millimeter is 1 centimeter
10 centimeter is a decimeter
10 decimeter is a meter
10 meter is a decameter
10 decameter is a hectometer
10 hectometer is a kilometer

Why are you still insisting on using such complex units while there's a far better system that'a being used internationally? I can imagine the conversion costs are quite high, but still, ameribros...

chalupa

The gimp
Oh my goodness! We had no idea about any of this!

What is this met-ric sys-tem you speak of?

Fero

Old World
Staff member
What's the main argument against it? I don't really see a valid reason to keep on using such a complex system.

Stu Pidasole

Florida (home) Georgia, South Carolina and Alabama
What's the main argument against it? I don't really see a valid reason to keep on using such a complex system.
That question was asked when I was working on a metric program in the aircraft industry. It boils down to the over all cost of converting and re-tooling.

There is no real clean conversion between the 2.

edit/ the closest I know is 13mm = 9/16...........lol

Fero

Old World
Staff member
Most british commonwealth countries made the conversion decades ago, though. Why would't it work in the US?

They tried to convert back in the early 90s. It didn't go over well. You have to understand also that our system isn't confusing for us, because we've used it all our lives.

chalupa

The gimp
It happened all over the world, though.
Yes. Americans are insanely stubborn and fear change of all stripes because it isn't in the Bible. I'm not actually joking.

I'd make the change to metric tomorrow; except that the rest of the world has to admit that they do dates incorrectly (also). It should be year, month, day, hour, minute, second. Fucking euros put the day in front of the month like retards.

Frood

a true bro
Because we're entrenched in the current system. Is the metric system objectively better? Yes. Is the imperial system functional? Also yes. No need to switch over. Science and physics classes still use the metric system, but for things like road signs, miles work just fine. It's not worth the hassle of switching over.

Also, Fahrenheit is better than Celcius because it's more precise.

chalupa

The gimp
Because we're entrenched in the current system. Is the metric system objectively better? Yes. Is the imperial system functional? Also yes. No need to switch over. Science and physics classes still use the metric system, but for things like road signs, miles work just fine. It's not worth the hassle of switching over.

Also, Fahrenheit is better than Celcius because it's more precise.
I disagree wholeheartedly. Cars have both, roadsigns can be changed. Fuck, that is a WAY better boost to our economy (shovel ready) than bailing out banks or failing companies. METRIC SYSTEM TO THE RESCUE!!!

I disagree wholeheartedly. Cars have both, roadsigns can be changed. Fuck, that is a WAY better boost to our economy (shovel ready) than bailing out banks or failing companies. METRIC SYSTEM TO THE RESCUE!!!
At the very least we could have both metric and normal on the signs:

Distance to Mianus
15 miles
(INSERTVALUE) km