Movies

BigMattTheHobo

Mexican and fabulous
Don't you guys watch movies?

Don Jon - 6.5/10 I'd say it was a good movie. At times it's kind of deep, but most of the themes are really obvious. Which is good, because these ideas need to be easily accessible. The acting is OK, and the story is pretty predictable. But it's worth watching, especially if you're interested in ideas involving sex and sexism.

Bad Grandpa - 7.5/10 The movie is pretty ridiculous and full of potty humor, but it can be touching. And the whole thing is hilarious, even the cheesy bits.

Ender's Game - 7/10 I'm a sucker for most sci-fi movies so I didn't really get why this movie got such terrible ratings. It is childish at times, but it's about kids training to fight, so that's understandable. The ending is kind of underwhelming, but the movie is full of interesting stuff.

Nocturnal

Ninja Wizard
Not as much as you apparently.

I want to see Bad grandpa.

Ender's Game.

7/10 I don't understand the bad reviews, it was a fairly good sci fi movie. The ending killed it though, totally boring. The whole time watching the movie I was thinking about how cool it would be to do all that stuff.

BigMattTheHobo

Mexican and fabulous
Me too! I would have came (well, dry fired) if I saw it as a child. Like Brian hinted at, the movie could have used a shower scene like Starship Troopers.

And watch Bad Grandpa soon. It had me laughing my ass off from start to finish. If you like Jackass stunts and humor, it's amazing.

ennaynattirb

Will give gumjob for meth
Do you really want me to rate the last movies I saw? My last three are Finding Nemo, Despicable Me, and Despicable Me 2...

Brian

Brian
Do you really want me to rate the last movies I saw? My last three are Finding Nemo, Despicable Me, and Despicable Me 2...
k I get it, you all like kids around here and you like to get together with kids and watch kids movies

Don Jon - 6.5/10 I'd say it was a good movie. At times it's kind of deep, but most of the themes are really obvious. Which is good, because these ideas need to be easily accessible. The acting is OK, and the story is pretty predictable. But it's worth watching, especially if you're interested in ideas involving sex and sexism.

also something's really really off and creepy about Juliane Moore when the camera is like 5 inches away from her face, dont you agree? i mean i dont know if it's because she's 50 years old or what, but my penis was way flacider during those scenes where i could see every pore on her face.

BigMattTheHobo

Mexican and fabulous
Really interesting point. Looking back, her face seemed to look strange. My thought is that she had some kind of internal struggle between feelings for her family (trying to avoid spoilers) and what she's doing with this guido womanizer. Like a balance between sadness, self fulfillment, and trying to teach Jon about intimacy.

ennaynattirb

Will give gumjob for meth
k I get it, you all like kids around here and you like to get together with kids and watch kids.
Just for you:

Dora's Christmas Carol Adventure - Not finished yet, but wow, what a tale of suspense. Swiper swiped on Christmas and was placed on the "Naughty List" by Santa. So Dora and Swiper have to travel through time, because of course they do. Will Swiper learn not to swipe on Christmas and find the true meaning of Christmas? Why is teenage Dora's head smaller than young Dora's head? I'm not even done with it, but I think it's the best movie I've ever seen.

Nocturnal

Ninja Wizard
Me too! I would have came (well, dry fired) if I saw it as a child. Like Brian hinted at, the movie could have used a shower scene like Starship Troopers.

And watch Bad Grandpa soon. It had me laughing my ass off from start to finish. If you like Jackass stunts and humor, it's amazing.
I was thinking "man, lot of sexual tension between Ender and that chick, but they are like 5 years old" then I remembered that I'm actually old now and those kids are probably like 18 in real life.

Gross man. I would not have wanted to see the shower scene in that movie if it were R. Seeing that once in American History X was enough for me.

chalupa

The gimp
I watched The Matrix this weekend. You guys should check it out, it's totally new and awesome.

Ciaran

I watched Dallas Buyers Club last night. It gets a solid 7.5/10 and I'd probably give Matthew Mc the oscar. Never thought I'd say that.

Frood

a true bro
Alright I'm going to type this from my phone so it won't be perfect.

Ender's game as its own movie wasn't super terrible, though it definitely wasn't good. The problem was what they did to the book it was based on. After seeing what Hollywood has done with lotr, harry potter, and even the hunger games, enders game was an incredibly disappointing adaptation of one of the most popular SciFi books ever.

The first real problem with the movie was the pacing of the movie. Everything went way too fast, and you never got to see the characters develop, or realize what a sacrifice they made. In the movie, ender and his fellow students don't age. The whole thing takes place in a few months, maybe a year tops. The book starts when ender is six years old and ends when he's 12. He gives up his entire life to save the world. This squishing of the timeline males lots of the story seem much less dramatic than it is. In the movie when ender goes back to earth to see valentine, he's been gone for 4 years. When he sees her in the movie, its like he's been away at summer camp, and it makes him seem like a kid who's just homesick, rather than a hero who's given his life to save his planet and is *this close* to giving up.

The next problem was casting. My two biggest problems with casting were the actor who played bonzo, and the abundance of female actors. Gonzo is supposed to be 4 years older than ender, and is described as towering over him, cause he's 13 and ender is 9. In the movie, he's a twerp. Sure he's more built than ender is, but it doesn't look like the entirely 1 sided David and Goliath fight it was meant to be. So when ender fights him in the shower, ender has failed to do what the fight with gonzo was supposed to do: prove that he can win an unwinnable battle. The teachers knew that gonzo was dangerous to ender, but to them he was only valuable if he could beat an opponent who was stronger than him in every way. Since gonzo looked so puny, it simply made the teachers look like incompetents. An aside about the fight: ender should not have killed gonzo by accidents as was portrayed in the movie. The point of enders character is that he fights to win. That's what makes him the hero earth needs. They need someone to end the bugger threat forever. Mazer Rackham got lucky when he defeated the buggers. Earth couldn't rely on luck again.

Now the abundance of women: I understand that Hollywood has to be PC and make the movie appeal to little girls as well, but making half of battle school, and major Anderson, women was a big mistake. The primary reason is that by making so many characters women, petras character is diminished. Petra is supposed to be one of four girls in the entire battle school at that time. Her success in a male dominated world (because the military is undeniably male) proves she's exceptional. She's an outsider, which is why she helps ender when he joins salamander army. She needs him as much as he needs her. With so many women in battle schOol, we never get the idea that petra really stands out. Also the mild romance they alluded to between petra and ender was completely fabricated Hollywood nonsense.

The last major problem was scale. The armies were too small, the school was too small, they pumped too much of the budget into special effects and as a result, battle school came out looking like summer camp. The armies were meant to be 40 soldiers, and I counted 15.

These issues, along with all the little things, such as bean being in enders launch group, completely ignoring bean as a character, ended never joining rat army, on and on... made the movie a huge disappointment to fans of the book. As a standalone movie? 5/10. As Ender's Game? 2/10.

Nocturnal

Ninja Wizard
Alright I'm going to type this from my phone so it won't be perfect.

Ender's game as its own movie wasn't super terrible, though it definitely wasn't good. The problem was what they did to the book it was based on. After seeing what Hollywood has done with lotr, harry potter, and even the hunger games, enders game was an incredibly disappointing adaptation of one of the most popular SciFi books ever.

The first real problem with the movie was the pacing of the movie. Everything went way too fast, and you never got to see the characters develop, or realize what a sacrifice they made. In the movie, ender and his fellow students don't age. The whole thing takes place in a few months, maybe a year tops. The book starts when ender is six years old and ends when he's 12. He gives up his entire life to save the world. This squishing of the timeline males lots of the story seem much less dramatic than it is. In the movie when ender goes back to earth to see valentine, he's been gone for 4 years. When he sees her in the movie, its like he's been away at summer camp, and it makes him seem like a kid who's just homesick, rather than a hero who's given his life to save his planet and is *this close* to giving up.

The next problem was casting. My two biggest problems with casting were the actor who played bonzo, and the abundance of female actors. Gonzo is supposed to be 4 years older than ender, and is described as towering over him, cause he's 13 and ender is 9. In the movie, he's a twerp. Sure he's more built than ender is, but it doesn't look like the entirely 1 sided David and Goliath fight it was meant to be. So when ender fights him in the shower, ender has failed to do what the fight with gonzo was supposed to do: prove that he can win an unwinnable battle. The teachers knew that gonzo was dangerous to ender, but to them he was only valuable if he could beat an opponent who was stronger than him in every way. Since gonzo looked so puny, it simply made the teachers look like incompetents. An aside about the fight: ender should not have killed gonzo by accidents as was portrayed in the movie. The point of enders character is that he fights to win. That's what makes him the hero earth needs. They need someone to end the bugger threat forever. Mazer Rackham got lucky when he defeated the buggers. Earth couldn't rely on luck again.

Now the abundance of women: I understand that Hollywood has to be PC and make the movie appeal to little girls as well, but making half of battle school, and major Anderson, women was a big mistake. The primary reason is that by making so many characters women, petras character is diminished. Petra is supposed to be one of four girls in the entire battle school at that time. Her success in a male dominated world (because the military is undeniably male) proves she's exceptional. She's an outsider, which is why she helps ender when he joins salamander army. She needs him as much as he needs her. With so many women in battle schOol, we never get the idea that petra really stands out. Also the mild romance they alluded to between petra and ender was completely fabricated Hollywood nonsense.

The last major problem was scale. The armies were too small, the school was too small, they pumped too much of the budget into special effects and as a result, battle school came out looking like summer camp. The armies were meant to be 40 soldiers, and I counted 15.

These issues, along with all the little things, such as bean being in enders launch group, completely ignoring bean as a character, ended never joining rat army, on and on... made the movie a huge disappointment to fans of the book. As a standalone movie? 5/10. As Ender's Game? 2/10.
That's a plus. As a soon to be father of a little girl it's a shame how rare women are in sci-fi and fantasy. No wonder it's only fat neckbeards who like this stuff.

chalupa

The gimp
Good idea...fat neckbeards like sci-fi, so let's throw some pubescent girls on screen, too. There's no way THIS could backfire.